History


In the winter of 1954, when Bartow County’s population was about 27,000, a core of 14 prominent business leaders and golf enthusiasts gathered together at the Episcopal Church in Cartersville, Georgia.  At this meeting, they began a campaign to develop the original thoughts and architecture for what is known today as the Cartersville Country Club. This was the first of a series of meetings to discuss building and funding a country club in Bartow County. With each meeting, interest and attendance grew, and in April of that same year, the Cartersville Country Club was incorporated with 83 Charter Members. Dargan Cole was elected Charter President, Bill Wofford, Vice President, and Walter Hawkins, Secretary/Treasurer. The Charter Membership, eighty men and three women, contributed one thousand dollars each. After incorporation, the first order of business was to purchase property. The original land purchase, estimated at one hundred five acres, was nestled along Pettit Creek and was regarded as one of the most ideal selections to be found in all of Northwest Georgia.  The property was purchased from Robert W. Knight for approximately twelve thousand dollars -- almost a gift at that time, considering property was selling for $200 - $250 an acre. Immediately following the land purchase, the 9-hole golf course was begun. The Charter Golf Course Committee designed the course, and the membership joined the effort to physically build it.
 


After the land acquisition and the golf course began, the next order of business was the erecting of the original clubhouse. The swimming pool and tennis courts were the next addition to the grounds.

At the annual meeting of 1971, a growing membership of three hundred voted to sell 52 acres of land, fronting U.S. Highway 41, and took the proceeds to build the additional 9 holes. In January of 1972, club officials broke ground for the new addition. Noted architects, Gary Player and Arthur Davis were hired to design the new layout to compliment the original 9 holes.

In early 1990, the Club opened its new clubhouse addition to a membership of four hundred and fifty, allowing us to become a full service country club. The Main Dining Room, Kitchen and Administration Offices of current were included in the addition.

In October of 2001, a membership of five hundred and seventy voted to commence with a facilities improvement campaign. The main focus of this project was the refurbishment of all 18 greens, installation of a state-of-the-art irrigation system, repaving of the concrete cart paths, and thirteen back tees were added to lengthen the golf course to almost seven thousand yards. Along with the improvements to the golf course, the club also added to two additional tennis courts, making a total of six.

We are grateful to the 14 gentlemen who gathered together in the early 1950’s and began the campaign for Cartersville Country Club. Their vision has grown into a lovely full service country club with a beautiful, challenging 18 hole championship golf course, six lighted tennis courts including 2 clay courts and 4 hard courts, and a junior olympic size swimming pool…all at its original location! Today the Board of Directors, who represent our growing membership, continue the long range planning that will only enhance the tradition of entertainment and relaxation for our members.

Thank you for your interest in Cartersville Country Club. We are very proud of our history and extend to you a warm welcome to our website.